Monday, July 9, 2012

I've been away

     I extend my sincere apologies to those who have come here as of late, looking for an update on our PALM ride.   We finished the ride on June 29.   2 days later, my Dad, who lived in North Dakota, passed away on  July 1, 2012.  We  headed that way, the following morning.  Since we only have 1 driver, it's a 2 day drive for us.  Got back home this afternoon.   Between travel and grief,  I'm  feeling pretty wiped out, but I am hoping to start on updating the blog sometime this week.   Thanks to all for your patience and understanding.

    Fortunately, the little town my Dad lived in, (population 78)  has a nice little city park where we could camp for $10.00 per night.  It included water and electric hookups.  Small towns across the midwest have little parks like this.  They are often a good place to camp when touring by bicycle.  The one in Goodrich is very well maintained.  Although this little town is small,  the people here have big hearts.  The park caretaker, Hazel, left a sympathy card on our camper door.  It's sad to see the little towns  like this, across ND dying out.  It may be happening in other states as well.  These folks love their quiet, crime free, peaceful communities.





     Each morning and through out the day, the lonely sound of mourning doves, came to our ears.  It made me think of the small park near my Grandma's house in NW Iowa, where I played as a child.

 So glad we could take our camper.  It made things so much easier, and saved us money too.


   The park was very well maintained and the restrooms/showers were some of the cleanest I've ever seen.  The  woman's shower was complete with soap, shampoo and conditioner.  The urinal in the men's room is malfunctioning,  so Hazel  used her creativity in dealing with the problem.


   
     Here is where my Dad lived.  We usually park our camper in his driveway when we visit.   It seemed odd to be staying at the City Park, instead of here.  Worse yet to go in and see the house without him in his chair.



     North Dakota is full of sloughs.  (pronounced, "Slew".)   Here is one that is near Main Street.

     
Here are a few other sights in Goodrich.




   
    These small prairie towns are a heritage to many people across the US,  myself included.  I lived in a town of 400 people in NW Iowa, when  I met Tony.  He was visiting family, there.

 My Dad,   had a deep love for this land and my sisters that still live here,  love the gently rolling hills that spread out between the little towns that are slices of American life in the midwest.  I'm reminded of the wonder of the landscape whenever I watch the movie "Dances With Wolves."   Sometimes as we drive the roads that stretch between these hills, , I can picture the buffalo that once roamed  here, and hear the distant sound of indians, drumming.  It might seem like a plain, dull land, but it still holds a certain magic.  A magic that can be seen  in the sunsets and small City Parks across this great land of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment