Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Twin Pack



     I'm behind on my postings, so today you get a twin pack.  2 rides, in one posting.


     June 16, 2012

     Got up early, wanted to ride sometime between 8 and 8:30 AM. For some reason when we make a plan like that, the trouble gremlins find out about it and lay in wait for us, doing all they can to delay or completely foil our  intent. Today was no exception.

     Our floor pump has been giving us a few problems lately.  Seems like we can't get  a good seal to get the air into the tire.  It's an inexpensive pump, a Schwinn,  with no built in gauge, that we had from years gone by.  Not designed for high pressure tires like ours.  Today it turned into a thief.  I checked the back tire, it had 80 lbs of air, needed 90, so I put the pump on the valve and Tony went to work.  He did about 20 thrusts, then I checked the air pressure.  It was at 60 lbs.  Instead of going up, it had gone down.  How could that be?  My gauge must be off.  Moved onto the front tires.  The one on the right needed only 5, but after pumping, it needed 10.  Feed up, Tony decided we needed to go to the hardware store and get a new pump and a tire gauge.  The only pump they had was a Bell pump, so I bought that and a tire gauge.

     Came home and checked the pressure on the tires, it was the same as my gauge.  Guess we didn't need a new gauge, after all.  Oh well, it's good to have one in the car.  I'll put the extra one there.  Now for that back valve.  After much effort, Tony finally managed to get the tire up to 90.  Repeated the same thing on the  front ones.   By the time we started riding it was 10:30AM, and the temperature was rising.  Thank goodness there was still a good breeze.   We are getting a high pressure pump on Monday.

     Pedaled towards Dighton,  planning on doing a loop down 20 Mile Road to the trail in Tustin and head home from there.   As we rode down 140th, Tyson the boxer came charging out at us.  This time there was no owner in sight.  Remembering that this dog loves a chase,  and knowing we couldn't out run him on this up hill stretch, we stopped.  "Go home Tyson."  I said in a firm voice, "Go home."  Instead, he came closer, growling now, as the hair on his back raised.  I took out the pepper spray I keep clipped to my side handle bar.  "Go home, NOW."  He came a step closer, still growling. I didn't really desire to spray him, but I needed to let him know that it was not fun to chase us. "GO HOME"   Another growl.  Not wanting to hit his eyes, I took aim for his mouth and let the spray rip.  It found it's target, and that dog took off, like a speed ball, up the driveway.  I  hope he learned his lesson, and will leave us alone from now on.

     Took a break in the shade, at church, and refilled our water bottles.  Pedaled on, turning right at the corner, onto 20 Mile, our favorite roller coaster ride.  We don't do it as often as we would like because there can be  some truck traffic on the road, and there is a shoulder to ride on, for only a short distance.  We were nearly to the top of a hill, when I glanced in my rear view mirror, to see a white dog about the size of a beagle running behind us.  This dog wasn't interested in chasing us, he wanted to go along on our adventure.  As we picked up speed going down the hill, he did his best to keep up, but we soon left him behind.

     The area by the trail is in full bloom.  It flowers wave in the breeze at those who pass by, providing a welcome to all who come this way.






     An ice cream cone sounded good so we stopped at the new shop In Tustin.  They still didn't have any Moose Tracks, or Mackinaw Island Fudge.  They didn't even have chocolate.   Who ever heard of a Dairy Delight that didn't have chocolate ice cream?  Disappointed, our next stop was the little grocery store across the street.  We had gotten good ice cream  there, in the past.  They told us, that in order to help the new shop succeed, they were no longer selling cones.  They had only a meager selection of ice cream bars, and none that appealed to my hunger for chocolate.  So on to LeRoy we went.  We would have to satisfy our craving  at Mr. Pibbs.

     Rode 22 1/2 miles today.

     June 18, 2012

     Armed with a new air pump, the gremlins were no match for us, and our ride got off to a smooth start.  Our action today would consist of a ride to Dighton, then a loop down 17 mile Rd, before heading home.  Temps were in the 80's with a light south wind.  It was partly cloudy.  Sure wish we could order riding weather like this for PALM.



     Saw a small turtle trying to cross the road. A truck went by, causing the little guy to pull back into his shell.


I wanted a picture, so we stopped and waited for him to gather his courage again. It took awhile, then slowly he stuck his head out, just a bit, then a tad more, and pretty soon as far as his miniature neck would let him.


He slowly turned his head to the left, staring at us, wondering if we were an immobile object.  Then he turned his head to the right, almost as if checking for traffic, and started across.  I quickly took a picture.  Just then a car came by and the turtle turned around and headed back to where he had come from.  Guess he decided crossing the street in Dighton, was too risky.

     Tony's knee is still bothering him so I tried to be mindful  and choose my gearing carefully, making sure I geared down for the hills, with none of my "Oh I think we can make this hill without shifting down."  attitude.  Going from one ring to the other, was much smoother today, so the tinkering I did with the front  deraileur must have helped. However it feels like I am still going from 3rd to 1st , on my big gear rings. Tony can't see, to tell me what is going on when I make that shift.  I think I'll wait until I can get someone on the back of the trike to see what is happening, before I adjust again.

     Despite my prudent efforts, Tony started complaining of his knee when we were only about a mile down 17 Mile RD, so we rode to the next place we could turn around, and changed direction.  We rode 18 1/2 miles today.

   


     

   


No comments:

Post a Comment