Friday, June 1, 2012

The shortest ride

May 30, 2012

     Had an abbreviated day at work today, and were eager to get home so we could ride at least 20 miles.  The weather was  partly cloudy and in the high 50's, a day for tights and jackets.   Our mileage goal is higher this week, so this opportunity, was welcome.  We are hoping to get a 50 miler in on Friday.  PALM is only 3 weeks away.

     The gravel was tough to get through today, partly because I was in the wrong gear.  Didn't discover that until we got to the pavement.  Maybe we should have turned around then.  As we rode up our next hill, I could hear that one of Tony's cleats was loose again.  On the corner of 17 Mile Rd, is a big, faded gold, pole barn, fronted by a gravel driveway. There is  enough room to park a few pick up trucks.  It was a safe place to stop.
   
Tony did the usual, turn and pull  of his foot to release the cleat from the clip on the pedal, but nothing happened.  He tried again, still no results.  On the 3rd try he got it out, but the cleat from his shoe, remained clipped in the pedal.  Now to find my tool kit.   Note to self;   move kit to right pannier, away from  traffic.  Much safer to have my rear end sticking out towards the ditch, then the road. After handing many things to Tony, to hold, I reached the bottom of the bag,  and found the case I needed.

      I took out my red handled, needle nose pliers and tried to get the cleat out.  I was challenged to find something to grab onto.  Onto my Park, multi tool, the one I often threaten to leave at home because it adds weight to my tool kit.  Using the screw driver attachment,  I managed to pry the cleat loose, which went flying and hit Tony in the chest, but the screws that held the cleat to the sandal had flown in another direction.  I searched the brown and tan gravel,  knowing my chances of finding the missing these tiny parts were slim.  After 5 minutes we gave up.

With seats only 18 inches above the ground, it is inviting trouble to ride without being clipped in.  Eventually, the riders foot will slip, and can easily be pinned under the trike, resulting in serious injury. We knew this ride was coming to an end.

     Tony's foot slipped quite a few times as we pedaled along, especially when I shifted.  However, he soon learned to anticipate that and hold his foot firmly to the pedal when I changed gears.  If his foot slipped, he would lift his keg.  We were probably a comical sight riding down the road.   Oh well, at our house, we have a saying;  "The entertainment, is free."

     Thankfully,  Tony's pedals are Shimano dual sided, clipless pedals, so he had a place to put his foot, other than on top of the clip.  It was a long ride home.  Added  7 and 1/2 miles today,  the shortest ride we've done in 3 years,  but our hearts were praising God that we made it home with no injuries.  There is good  to be found, even on a short ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment