Thursday, April 12, 2012

Some rides don't go as planned.

     Today's ride was going to be a short, 16 mile ride, to church and back.  It's one of our easier courses, although it too has it's share of hills, they are what we consider, "mild hills."  And just in case the ride is too easy, we have the "Hill trio," to greet us in the last miles, before home.
   
     Winds this morning were about 10 -15 MPH, temps in the mid 40's and it was sunny.  30 MPH winds dancing around this afternoon, but we would be home  by then.  I am far behind on my household duties, and need some time to be domestic.   Too much time spent riding and blogging, lately.  Tomorrow is a big errand and appointment day, and the weather forecast is for possible sleet.  Not a good riding day,  and as good of a reason, as any, to ride today.  Not that we ever need a reason to do that.

     Tony continues to struggle with getting the  mountain drive kicked out.  When we changed pedals, we moved the trouser guards from the mountain drive on Rosie, to Rollin, and I'm thinking that they don't line up with the magical little button that kicks the gearing out of mountain drive.   I am going to try and take them off on Friday.  I think it will make it easier for Tony to hit the button with his heel.

     Rode past a cow and her calf.   He looked pretty young,  tawny brown coloring,   a few  shades brighter than the contented cow that walked ahead.  The little one wasn't far behind, and was completely focused on his Mama.  They were to far away to get a good picture.  I have been looking for the sheep and lambs, but haven't seen them.   The song of the rooster greeted us in a few places.  Sometimes I think of how efficient it would be to live in town and ride Rollin, to the grocery store, library, and work,  but I would sure miss the open country roads we ride.  I prefer peaceful peddling, past fields, farmhouses, cattle, horses, chickens and geese.   A deer, turkey or some other wildlife, can come strolling across the road or a field.   A tom turkey, gave us a  full display of his tail feathers today.


     The gulls were all revved up over something or another, a cement mixer and several construction workers were at the self milking barn.   Maybe the gulls were ticked because there was so many people around.  Not as many trucks parked along the road as there was last time we rode by, but it is is a mess from all the field dirt.

     Our new wireless computer isn't working properly.  It recorded our miles to church as 10 , and we know that it is 8 miles.  Kind of odd, as we know it was accurate on our last 2 rides.  From what I've read wireless computers can be affected by many things, but it is more common for them to be off around stop lights, alarm systems etc.  None of those between our house and church.  Wanting credit for every mile we ride, we will  be switching back to a wired computer.  I'll probably go back to a Cat Eye.

     Arriving at church meant time for a bathroom break and a snack.

  A car pulled in the driveway, just as we were leaving. 4  elderly, strangers got out and went over to the bell tower that holds the old bell from the school house.   Thinking that perhaps they might want their picture taken by the tower, we stopped to chat.  One couple was from CA, the other from western MI.  Their parents had grown up in the area and had gone to the Dighton School.   They heard there was a lot of historical pictures , on display, in the church, and were disappointed that it wasn't open.  With a key to the church in my pannier, I offered to open the church for them, so they could take a little look around.  Tony waited outside with Rollin.



 Once we got in the church, I could see that this wasn't going to be a quick tour.   Many pictures evoked a memory story for them, or something their parents had shared.   There are pictures on each of the hall way walls downstairs, and pictures in the foyer of the church as well.  They took pictures of the pictures, and gratitude at being able to get into the church to see them, flowed abundantly.  I was glad I had offered to let them in.

     Meanwhile, I could see dark clouds rolling in.  Setting those thoughts aside, I let them take as much time as they needed.  Who knows it could be the last time one of them ever sees this piece of their  history.   By the time they  signed the guest register,  nearly an hour had passed.  The 4 of them stood in front of the bell tower and I took a few pictures.  Of course it wasn't fall, as in this picture, but it was the only one I had of the tower.



 With happy hearts, they got in the car and drove away, and yes, it was still spring.
 

     Tony was pretty cold by then, and we had an 8 mile ride, with strong headwinds ahead of us.  I wondered if we might get wet before we made it home.  Asking the Lord to look upon our good deed with favor, and to hold back the rains, we pedaled out of the driveway.

     The wind beat a chill against our faces as we headed south, making me wish I had my balaclava on instead of my skull cap.  My gloves kept my fingers toasty, and biking tights warmed our legs.  The sky was dark and overcast, continuing to  threaten rain.


     We pushed it going home, not wanting to have a repeat of our last rain scenario.  Last year the farmer that owns the land on the corner of 155th,  plowed the meadow over and planted corn.  This spring they cut down what we refer to as ,  the "rock tree."  It is a tree that had a big pile of rocks under it.



 Years ago we took our trailer and hauled several loads of rocks to put on the side of our hill.  Being a tree hugger, I am sad to see the tree come down.  I wish they would come and haul it away, taking the sadness I feel when seeing the toppled skeleton too.   I think Tony is getting tired of me talking about it, and what a shame that mere cornstalks could determine the fate of this  majestic tree.
   


     Upon arriving at the driveway our odometer  said we had ridden 20 miles, but we knew we had only logged 16.

   
 

1 comment:

  1. How amazing that you were able to minister to others while riding. You will have to share this story with my kiddos. You should have a pic of the church next time or the school bell. Much happier than sad tree. :-)

    ReplyDelete