Saturday, April 21, 2012

Laid low

     It started out innocently enough, a little irritating cough.  The next morning, I woke up, feeling like my throat had been rheamed  out with a  thin, red hot pipe.  Strep was my first thought. My naturopath wasn't available.   I rescheduled my clients and started on oregon grape and colloidal silver right away, rubbing tea tree  oil on the throat every few hours  My evening my throat felt better, but the cough was worse.  Made it through the night.  Had to reschedule clients again.  Tony came home with some suggestions from our naturopath on things I should take. I started on them right away.  No appetite.   Fever visited that night, and dragged my body over some rocks.

     Fast forward 2 more days, to the weekend.  There was a breakfast that I needed to attend.  In spite of taking cough syrup, I coughed through most of it, was glad when it was done and I was back home.  It was an important weekend,  I had many obligations at church, and there was a surprise birthday party for Tony's Mom on Sunday.  I was unable to attend any of it.  Coughing, being cold, and running a fever, set up camp all around me, and forced me to participate.

     On Day 8, I realized I hadn't cooked any meals in over a week.  Apparently, Tony was feeding himself.  Most likely eating lots of oatmeal, PBJ sandwich's and bagels with peanut butter.   Time to make an appointment to see the doctor.   Once she got over her shock at how sick I looked, doc said I had bronchitis that was on the verge on pneumonia.  My first bout ever with bronchitis, and it was clearly winning.  For the first time in over 6 years, I took an anti-biotic.  She also called in a cough syrup with codeine....sleepy time syrup.   She said I would start to feel better in 24 hours, and I did..briefly.  Then things went downhill again.  My doctor had the day off and the on call doctor, couldn't fit me in, so he called out  5 Z-pak, which is something strong that is used to treat pneumonia.

     Once again, clients for the week, are  shuffled around like a deck of cards.  Yes they can come next week.  Many get well wishes conveyed from them, with a reminder, that they need me to get well.

     So grateful for the blessing of friends.  A good friend  picked up the new meds, bringing supper with her.  Sleepy time syrup got me through the night.  Next day, same friend came and made supper for us.  Later our Pastor called to let us know that people would be bringing in meals for a few days, a gesture we gratefully accepted and appreciated.  Especially, Tony.  Me, I still had no appetite or taste.

     2 days later, life is getting better, fevers are gone, still coughing, but the mucus making factory  in my head, seems to have shut down.  Appetite and taste are slowly returning.  I can taste chocolate and smell coffee, life is improving.

     Over 2 weeks have passed, I still have 2 packets of pills to take.  I feel quite a bit stronger, but certainly not ready for a bike ride.  Which reminds me, we are now 2 weeks behind on our training.  I'm hoping to start cleaning Rosie up and to try and get the mountain drive easier for Tony to kick out, but right now, I'm going to take a little nap.  Hopefully, I can have a little cycling adventure in my dreams.

    Miles ridden today, zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment