Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Back to the country again

It was mostly cloudy today, temps in the mid 60's, and quite windy, I got Buttons doggie "condo" set up on the back of the trike yesterday, ended up using rope to attach the holder to the rack.  It came with  2, 12 inch zip ties, the first of which broke, when I was trying to put it on.  I didn't bother to try the second one. Using a rope worked better.  Button still doesn't like being in the back away from me, he still cries, even though I gave him a bit of chamomile to calm him, before we left.  About half way through the ride, he did settle down, but still had brief periods of expressing his displeasure at the situation.  I think he'll adjust, as he goes on more rides.




We rode one of our hilliest courses, today, eager to try out our mountain drive in our own territory.  It was also very windy.  When we took the picture of Button in his condo, we were parked. What a difference the mountain drive makes.   We spin  (pedaling fast and easy) right up the hills, no faster than we did before, but with less pushing hard with our feet, also known as "mashing." Makes the hills so much easier.  Even the "gnarly" hills around Ashton, which is the route we took today.  Mile after mile of hills, very good training for PALM.  That's what we kept telling each other.  Tony also told me to show him a little grace, which means, "please choose a kinder gear."






Rode past the amish school house.  I had my camera at the ready, hoping to get a shot of all the bicycles parked around the school, but I think they are already done for the year, or on a break of some type, so the kids can help in the fields.  There was an amish guy cleaning out the horse barn at the school, but no one else around.

A grouse crossed the road in front of us, but I didn't have my camera out, so missed taking a picture.  It is so nice to see the grass green, and the trees are just starting to leaf, the leaves are still young and partly folded.  From a distance the trees look light green and kind of fuzzy at the edges, against the sky.  Like a picture that is just a little blurred.  Daffodils are still blooming.  along with the bright yellow flowers that grow along the marshy areas , where little streams flow, in the ditches.


 Rode past several amish on bicycles, and a horse and buggy, stopped at a gravel road waiting to pull out onto the pavement.  I was glad we didn't meet them on the road, for some reason, our trike really freaks out the amish horses when they meet us on the road.  The driver has all he or she can do to keep them under control.  We usually stop and let them go by, figuring the horses may see us as less of a threat, if we aren't coming toward them. Would like to take a picture of them amish, but they don't like their picture taken, so I don't.  Here is the amish school house, the horse barn is in the left corner of the pic.



Rode past Hog Back and McCoy lakes, and the little lake that we don't know the name of.  Quite a few people already have their docks in.  Rode by the statue of the little bow in the row boat.  It seemed odd to see him sitting there by himself,  normally the boat is filled with flowers in bloom, but it's still too early in the season.



Saw an old dilapidated house near the road. I feel sad when I see one, it looks so sad and lonely sitting there, all alone, falling apart, and windows broken.  I can't help but remember that this was once someone's home, a home they dreamed of building, and lived in, raising a family there, perhaps several generations of families lived there.  People were likely born there and some died there. Now,  summer, winter, spring and fall, there it sits, becoming more and weather beaten. Animals make their home there, but not people.  I think of it as a home of discarded dreams.  I want to say to it, " Hello, house, don't be sad, I know you were once beautiful, with people living in you that cared about you and cared about each other.  You held their  laughter and their tears within your walls,  and their  children on your porches. You framed the stars at night, and the moon illuminated your windows on cloudless nights.  In the winter you provided a warm shelter, a place for kids to do homework around the kitchen table and to make popcorn.    The summer sun greeted the people who lived there, the ones you gave your shelter and love too. Now you are sad and forgotten, yet still, you hold within you the memories of days gone by.  Sad days, and happy ones. Take heart house, I still admire you."    So when we rode past today, I stopped and took a picture.




I sometimes wonder what we look like, going down the road, so I decided to take a picture of the trike from behind.  I'm sure it's more interesting with people on it.  We rode 27 miles today, it was very windy, that combined with all the hills, gave us a good workout.  I had a pot of chili in the crock pot, so  when we got home we had supper waiting, which is good, because I am usually STARVED after a ride.  Riding on the bike trails is nice, and much easier than all the hills,  but we enjoy road riding more, when we ride there,  we get a slice of life along with our ride.  So grateful to the Lord for the beauty that is all around us.  So grateful for his hand of protection on us when we ride.

1 comment: