Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pre tour flat.

I think there must be a new rule in my life that says each bike tour must be precedented by a flat tire on something.  We rode the trike on Tuesday and all was well, went to load it on the trailer today, and it had a flat tire.  I didn't really have time to patch it, so I was glad I had a spare.  Changing a bike tire when the bike is on the trailer seemed easier.  Note sure why, I was standing on the trailer, so the trike was at the same height it usually is when I change a tire, maybe I just needed to tell myself it was easier.  After all this is at least the 4th flat I have changed this summer. (might even be the 5th or sixth, I've lost count.)  When I went into our local bike shop to pick up another spare, I asked my friend at the bike shop why I am getting so many flats.  His reply was, "because you need practice changing them. "  Personally, I feel like I have had enough practice for the season.

Needless to say, we got off to a later start then we planned.  Had hoped to be in Mackinaw City by 1 or 2PM, never left home until 12:30, and we still had to drop Button off at the dog sitters.  Took awhile to walk him around and get him acclimated.  We finally got to Mackinaw City around 4:30 PM.  decided to pick up our tour packets first, then check in at the Motel. Our room is small, but clean.  We decided that we will think of it as a cruise ship cabin, them we won't feel as claustrophobic.  The shower is smaller than the one in our camper.



 Had to park the bike and the trailer by the front of the Motel,  took this picture at night, when I went to check on it.

 right by busy US 23.  I'm a little concerned about leaving it there, Locked the bike onto the trailer and locked the hitch for security, went back to our room.


 Trusting in the Lord to keep all safe.

Once we unhooked the trailer, and checked in,  we called our friends that are riding with us and they came to the Motel, (their room is next to ours,) and we went out to supper together.  Had a nice visit, made plans for morning, and then headed to our rooms.   The Mackinaw Shoreline tour offers a 25 mile ride, a 50 mile ride, a75 mile ride and a century ride.  We are doing the 50 miler.  Will go to breakfast at 7AM, hope to start riding by 9AM.


Forgot to bring garbage bags  to cover the trike seats with, so had to go to the Motel office to get some.  The girl behind the desk wasn't very willing to help, but after a bit of explaining from me about how it is no fun to start riding in the morning with a wet bike seat, and telling her (nicely) that "Could I please have  a larger size bag, because our bike is recumbent, so the seats are bigger." and telling her that I was surprised that a Motel would be out of garbage bags" because it is likely something they need each day,"  she gave a big sigh, was gone for 5 minutes,  then came back with 4 bags that were the size I needed.  I thanked her and told her my butt thanked her as well.  Don't think she appreciated that much.  I think she had other things she would rather have been doing ,  working the desk at the family motel was not high on her Friday night list..  Anyway, the trike and our butts will hopefully be dry and happy in the morning.

Covered the trike seats, tried, unsuccsesfully,  to get a picture of the moon over lake Michigan before the cloud cover moved in,  then headed for bed. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment